A&D Business Simulation –
A Management and Leadership Development Course for the Aerospace and Defense Industry.
Over a period of several days, course participants will be introduced to the fundamental business tools needed to achieve long-term profitability and competitive advantage in the aerospace and defense industry. Participants will be challenged to apply these tools in a business simulation (a “virtual” Aerospace & Defense company), where their performance will be evaluated by a marketplace that has been created by competing teams.
Learn by Doing
At the center of this “Learn by Doing” course is the BizFighter business war game. In BizFighter, participants will be immersed in a learning activity unlike any they have experienced before. Over a period of several simulated years, teams will be challenged to manage a struggling Aerospace and Defense contractor and compete for contracts and qualified employees (engineers and other staff).
At the end of each decision period, teams receive performance feedback in the form of financial and industry reports. Participants will learn how to use these performance barometers to grow the business and improve bottom-line performance.
“BizFighter is a very complex simulation that is an analog for the aerospace & defense business. Attendees are expected to demonstrate that they can function as a team, that they can work cross-functionally, and that they can deliver the same results that we would expect of any leader in our organization. We force them to think about dynamics they wouldn’t ordinarily think about, and it’s incredible watching them solve problems that are a day-to-day part of our business.”
Program Lead, Leadership Development Large A&D company
Our Course is Specific to Your Industry
Hands-On A&D Simulation Dashboard
- Competitive Bidding for Development, Production, and Service contracts
- Contract Analysis including Cost-Plus, Fixed-Performance, and Fixed-Progress
- Financial Statement Analysis including profitability, assets, liabilities, and equity
- Financial Ratio Analysis including book-to-bill, booking margin, working capital, return on assets, return on equity, return on sales, and ROIC
- Earned Value Management (EVM) Analysis and Program Management including ACWP, BCWP, BCWS, CPI, SPI, BAC, and EAC
- Schedule Analysis by contract year
- Risk and Opportunity Management by contract. Application of Six Sigma teams on programs and for Growth and Employer of Choice
- Staff Loading including staffing with contract employees
- A&D-specific Corporate Competencies including Pre-Contract, Program Management, CMMI, Systems Integration, and Technology
- Customer Ratings including Cost, Schedule, Technology, Supplier Performance, and Contractor Performance Assessment Reports (CPAR)
- Internal and external Communications Plans
- Supply Chain Management including Supplier Rating System
“The (simulation) exercise is the perfect tool for testing your business acumen. I am using the program to create the teachable moments that we need to develop our next generation of leaders. The simulation is not only a business challenge, it is an excellent tool for team building and something you don’t want to quit. It’s as close to the real thing as possible.”
LDP Program Manager, Top 5 U.S. A&D Firm
Equip Your Team for ALL the Challenges of A&D Management!
Participants Will Learn:
- A “Total Company Perspective” on decision-making
- How to apply proven business and management topics to Aerospace and Defense company operations
- How to think strategically
- How to analyze complex business issues
- How to read and interpret financial reports (Income Statement, Balance Sheet, Cash Flow Statement)
- How decisions in each department impact the business and contract performance (integrated decision-making)
- How to measure performance using financial and program-level ratios (Earned Value Management, Cost Performance Index (CPI), Schedule Performance Index (SPI), Working Capital, ROA)
Financial Statements for Aerospace and Defense Companies
Financial Financial Metrics and Ratios for Aerospace and Defense Companies
“BizFighter ties it all together… business development, program capture, program management, finance, human resources, and corporate governance. The simulation should be a requirement for every executive joining and leading the company–especially those who want to lead the company in an enlightened and integrated manner. In a matter of a few fun-filled, energizing days, it will change your perspective on how business is done and managed. BizFighter is a must for anyone that wants to succeed and excel.”
Director, Mission Profiling, Global A&D Company
“This program helped me to better understand how my company is measured financially as well as how certain decisions can impact the bottom line. This program also helped me realize the difficult decisions that executives need to make given they do not exactly know what competitors will do, how the economy will do, etc. This program was a motivating, fun, and interesting way to learn about business finance. It totally captured my attention and focus.”
– Director, National Semiconductor University