MAGnate™ Product Details
MAGnate™ is an Interactive Magazine Publishing Exercise
With over 800 new publications entering the market every year, what are you doing to ensure that your publication stays ahead of the competition?
People are the key to long-term success. If your decision-makers were president of your publication for a year, would they know how to:
- Position the publication with readers and
- Profitably meet rate-base commitments?
- Analyze and incorporate new sources of
circulation such as the Internet?
- Optimize advertising and circulation
MAGnate, an interactive business exercise, allows participants to make decisions such as these without risking the reputation and earnings of your organization!
The core tool of the MAGnate exercise is a computerized business simulation that
models the operations of a consumer magazine company. The simulation challenges
teams to select an editorial position, manage new and existing circulation, determine advertising rates, and balance the inter-relationships between editorial, circulation, advertising, and production. Teams compete to outperform the competition in terms of growth, revenue, and profitability.
During multiple decision rounds and lectures, teams apply business theory to the
operation of a magazine company. The teaching method ensures that each participant internalizes the concepts explored during the exercise and incorporates these concepts in their daily decision-making.
“… by far the most useful, learning-intense workshop I’ve ever attended. Great
information and great ‘real life’ simulation. This is essential for anyone wishing to
understand the complete publishing business model.”
Director of Marketing
Magazine Publishing Company
Equip Your Team for ALL the Challenges of Business Management!
Sample Topics Include:
- SWOT analysis
- Internal and external strategic alignment
- How to manage fixed and variable costs effectively
- Competencies needed to implement successful strategies
- How to measure profitability
- How to interpret financial and operational ratios
- Optimizing performance: revenue profit levers
- Optimizing performance: expense profit levers
- Managing sources of circulation
- Competition, regulation, and alternative media